Sunday, March 29, 2009

In Two Voices

It is a real pleasure that Gabor has taken to keeping up this blog with me. I don't feel as guilty when I don't post for a week or so!

As I write it is Sunday and I am sitting in "Derek's Cafe" at 15 Parkside, Barrie, in the arms of Sophia Creek, Camphill. Last night we had Bible Study - Camphill style - something like a Quaker friends gathering with readings from the Camphill story as well as scripture and room for each person present to be silent and to reflect publicly on how they feel the Spirit of Light is calling them as an individual and as a member of the community.

Our present reflections are filled with the wonderings of how we will find and afford housing for all those who want to be physically present in Sophia Creek. I am not the only one figuring that one out.

Gabor, Jason and I left River's End Campground last Wednesday. We have "gigs" coming up in Ohio and Minnesota, but the bulk of the World Peace through Inclusion Tour is now behind us.

For me this primarily means beginning the work of gathering up the stories and reflections of all I and we have experienced and learned over five months. It means building something unique, generative and valuable on the foundation of the work and experience that this period in my life made possible. It also means cleaning up the "messes" that this abrupt shift in my life created - hurt feelings, lost communications, anxieties and exhaustions that others experienced because I took such a dramatic direction last October.

Leaving Tybee and Savannah brought me several moments of real tears. As we drove through and away from the city I was nearly overwhelmed by the memories flooding from almost every corner, park and building. I have lived more intensely in these places than anywhere in my adult life. Tybee is my home in a unique way - not just because of the marshes and pelicans, the campground pot lucks and the windy beach walks, but also because I took and found the opportunity here to find my own roots - the place from which I can truly continue to build inclusion.

I have discovered that home is not necessarily where you like to be. There were many moments when it has been very difficult to be in Tybee and Savannah. Home is where for better and worse you can find your ground and discover who you can truly make yourself into. At 59 I am late coming to this place. But then it is said that Frank Lloyd Wright did his best work between ages 60 and 90.

This summer I will restabilize my home and personal assistance, finish my second book, and most importantly work with Gabor and others to create the World Peace through Inclusion Foundation. Our chief work is to research and develop the model of building inclusive community through syncopated transitions. An explanation I gave to Gabor one hot summer afternoon to describe how to approach developing community right in the midst of the "institution" has become the core of a promising model of inclusive transformations.

The end of the journey was present in its beginning.
Judith

No comments: