Friday, November 21, 2008

Our New Home

Wednesday was moving day. I decided to roll down Jones Ave. while Gabor and Erin packed up Avalanche and drove to the River’s End Campground. We left with some regret because Kristin and Brad have been wonderful hosts, including in their hospitality full access to their hot tub and latte maker.

My personal trip from the south end to the north end of the island was engaging! Not being sure when I will get back I took an intentional side trip to the Back River Fisherman’s Pier. Yesterday was brilliantly sunny and very cold so I was bundled in a woolen hat, scarf and Columbian woolen poncho. I was a solitary visitor to the pier. It is impressive to be the only human observer to the power of the steady, almost relentless, flow of the river meeting the very different rhythm of the equally steady ebb and flow of the incoming tide. The sea water spreads over, the river flows under, slowly a four inch bore, almost lazily, creeps toward the shore. As I continued my journey northward a few minutes later I reflected on my own duel nature of apparent stillness and persistent drive.

In my reverie I failed to recognize that I had continued up Chatham Ave. and not up Jones. Fortunately over my last few visits to Tybee I have familiarized myself with the layout of the south end and I got myself back on track with no great anxiety or loss of time.

The nature of the town changes a lot going north. Within five or six blocks the traffic had picked up to such an extent that I frequently pulled off the road to ensure that drivers had plenty of room to go by me. There were no sidewalks until I reached 1st street (I started at 17th). After this there was a choice between bike lane and sidewalk, not all of which was in good repair.

Even as the urbanness of the environment increased it continued to be obvious that about 25 % of Tybee is up for sale and another 20 % is for rent. We have been checking out prices for a friend and it’s clear that everything is high priced, even ridiculously expensive. I wondered why people wouldn’t bring down their rents, encourage a lot more people of more modest means to come to the island and so renew the range of economic opportunities available to them. Then I considered that as much as I wish Tybeans were more generous I, myself, was developing an ungenerous attitude towards them, and that my real work, at least for the moment, is to sustain an open heart toward my neighbours.

As I passed 4th street I saw Bronte and Avalanche cross the intersection of Jones and 1st. About 15 minutes later I arrived at the campground where two camp staff people were assisting Gabor to take his second pass at parking Avalanche. That accomplished we purchased an extra length of sewer hose and with the cheerful and helpful advice of the man we now call Trailer Tom (we know several Toms!) we are now fully hooked in to a “proper” RV campsite for the first time since I purchased Avalanche on August 11.

Trailer Tom informed us that the Mayor of Tybee had called the owner of River’s End and requested that we be given a complementary place until February. I have a new sense of the generousity of the citizens of Tybee Island.

Judith

1 comment:

Sheldo said...

Hey Miss Judith. I am enjoying your thoughtful insight as you continue on this Journey you have undertaken. You never do anything half assed or easy, but you always seem to make it through. You are beginning to feel about Tybee, what I feel about Ocracoke Island, and I understand how it can make you feel. Enjoy your time there, the Atlantic coast is a gift that should not be overlooked pr taken for granted. And know that I am just a little bit jealous.