Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Great Day!

For much of the time I have been living in Avalanche we have been inundated in our own disorder. Perhaps “inundated” is an unusual way to think of chaotic living, but I have often felt emotionally buried by things like:
- nearly everything from getting up to making a coffee taking a few minutes to several hours longer than I anticipated;
- moving from 3 full-time and 4 part-time personal assistants to one personal assistant and one videographer/office assistant;
- consciously not putting things like receipts away in an orderly way because there was no fixed place to put them;
- being unable for a both technical and support reasons to answer e-mails or make phone calls in a timely reliable fashion;
- having my wardrobe and other familiar and essential items divided in two places, or in storage for an anticipated move to Barrie; and,
- having the immediate environment change in size, shape and/or location, e.g. switching from my Dodge which had a ramp and wherein I sat beside the driver to my Ford (which has enough horsepower to tow Avalanche) which has a lift and wherein I sit behind the driver.

Today we made real progress in restoring an environment wherein I can become reliable once again. Not that everything is in place, but today we set up a mini-office in Avalanche and hired a back-up assistant to relieve Gabor.

All three of us noticeably relaxed!

Our first 36 hours or so on Tybee have been magical. I can hardly wait until we can post pictures. This place is truly beautiful, and though I am heartily glad that it has not been discovered by the uppity tourist class, I can’t understand why there aren’t private clubs and hotels on every square inch of the beach. The environment is shaped by the Atlantic Ocean mingling with verdant marsh mingling with the Bull and Savannah Rivers plus other minor waterways. I expect this bioregion is unique, or at least it is like nothing I have ever encountered or imagined before I first truly met it last January.

Last night our hosts threw an oyster roast for us and two other out-of-town guests. Like Tybee itself an oyster roast combines a number of cooking styles and the mix is unexpectedly interesting. I must say though it would take many hours and many oysters to truly get a full meal so I was very happy that the pot luck included sausages, corn bread and other delicacies.

My calendar is beginning to fill up. I have meetings and performances to attend on each of the next three evenings, and I also have a new assistant to train. I begin to feel more like my “normal” busy self!

Warmly; Judith

No comments: